Website Back Online!

We're back!! Sorry! Had some problem with some malicious files. The host didn't offer to fix it, as that's not a service they provide. I seem to have sorted it now.

Author Topic: The Munch is here! (UWO)  (Read 174 times)

Offline Munch

• The Munch
  • The Munch
  • Super Muncher!
  • Existence is RAGE!
    • View Profile
    • Knights of the Night's King (my page)
  • Munch fan?: Who isn't?
The Munch is here! (UWO)
« on: November 14, 2018, 01:48:54 AM »
I joined UWO after seeing it mentioned in the shoutbox. I wanted to join it a few years ago but never got 'round to it. University kinda got in the way. I joined now. There was only one server, or world, called Maris, so I went with that one.

I'm Munch, too! It's been a while since I've been a Munch, to the point where I no longer even try now and just go straight for Feodaran. But I'm a Munch! I might make another character called Feodaran just so no genius here decides to take it.

And, of course, I'm English. I chose the military class at the start. I feel like such a noob!

The intro is a bit annoying. Can't seem to skip it, all of that news and info and stuff before you even get to select the world.

Anyway, I'm just saying this to see if I can find anyone. For those who don't have it, check out the stickied topic on this board, or go here:

https://uwo.papayaplay.com/uwo.do?tp=download

Register on the site.

Anyway...Egg! Pan! Waar zijn jullie?!

Should I have gone with the military thing? Should I have gone for one of the other two? Can't remember what they were. Trader (or merchant) and adventurer, maybe. Feodaran could be that. But Feodaran's name comes from a fire dragon so he should be a military person, too.
Wyrd biþ ful ārǣd!

Offline Egg_Shen

• Administrator
  • EON
    • View Profile
Re: The Munch is here! (UWO)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 07:38:16 AM »
Well holy crap, welcome to uwo!
I don't play much at the time, been quite busy....but join the ACME company in amsterdam, it's kinda the stoned company on uwo (started by silver and me way back, now cali and pan run it).

On doing millitary, it's fine, and you can have upto 3 toons online at a time on uwo (and unlimited total). I have 1 toon of each class, 2 are dutch, 1 is english.
Suggestion: do all schools (3 schools, 3 types, so 9 school bla total), it's kinda a tutorial to the game and gets you some starting cash, ships, stuff etc.

My toons are named: Yellowbelly(main toon, adventure bla), capt.coward(i think that's my militairy one) and errmm...can't even remember the other one atm lol
I'll try to be on saturday and/or sunday, no promises though :P

Offline Munch

• The Munch
  • The Munch
  • Super Muncher!
  • Existence is RAGE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 09:17:41 PM »
By doing the schools, you mean with my current character? So with my military character, doing the other schools? Or do you mean the three types get three schools? I'll look into that.

I'll make Feodaran just so nobody else gets him. Would have to think about the third one. I quite like Fenris, but that might be taken.

I'm pretty much free all weekend so I'll try to no life my way into UWO.

I assume to join the ACME company, I'd have to travel to Amsterdam? They don't have Internet in the 15th or 16th century? What a weird world that is. I'm currently in London so it shouldn't be that far once I get off this island.

Lol, just roaming around London and I'm thinking that I've never seen so many Dutch flags before. Seems to be a popular nation to go as.

I don't know if religion has any role in this, given that there's a church. I'd like to be a heretic. :P
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 09:41:45 PM by Munch »
Wyrd biþ ful ārǣd!

Offline Munch

• The Munch
  • The Munch
  • Super Muncher!
  • Existence is RAGE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 02:34:33 AM »
By doing the schools, you mean with my current character? So with my military character, doing the other schools? Or do you mean the three types get three schools? I'll look into that.

Oh, wait, you mean switching trades or whatever it is in-game and doing those schools, don't you? With the guildmaster?

It can be a confusing game at first, I think. There's help and stuff but it would be nice if you got a little tooltip providing a description when you mouseover things. I had to Google vigour and what that meant and how to restore it, instead of finding it out ingame. The UI can be a bit confusing.

I'm picking off little battles with pirates and such to learn how battles work. Haven't done any melee yet, land or sea. Not brave enough to try. I know to try to hit the port or bow with cannons, but I'm trying to work cannons out. Sometimes it feels random when it'll shoot, I'm not sure if there's some indicator that tells me when they're done reloading. The cursor's colour on the enemy ship might be an indicator, but I'm not sure.

I like it so far, though, and I'll love it once I figure this noob stuff out.

Okay, I can sort of figure out the cannons thing. It says when you can't shoot and when you can. So there's that.

It seems provisions don't expire, if I have that correct. At least ship provisions, not sure about food on land. So that's nice to know. I can stock up as much as I want without worrying about things going to waste.

Okay, I'm getting the hang of battles now, at least against bots. I upgraded my ship and bought some parts and it's all good now.

I arrived in Amsterdam and requested to join ACME, with the message "go munch yourself" when it asked if I wanted to create a message for the director. I also landed at other ports along the way, including Groningen. I was chasing pirates and a storm hit so I went to Groningen to repair and to discover it.

I'm not sure if the quests given by the maritime mediator is classed as part of a school.

I also don't see an option to sell trade goods that are in my cargo. I can turn things into supplies, but I don't see how I can sell them.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 05:04:25 AM by Munch »
Wyrd biþ ful ārǣd!

Offline Egg_Shen

• Administrator
  • EON
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 05:28:30 AM »
The schools will explain most game stuff, including battle and how to sell cargo. Just go to the school in london first, i'd recomend 1st doing maritime school with a maritime toon, when you graduate it will tell you where the 2nd school is. You can then either do the other 2 schools in london (trade and adventure) or go to the school in the other town (the town they tell you when you graduate).

btw, you will use supplies while at sea, especially later on with a large crew. When at sea long supplies can even spoil.

Offline Munch

• The Munch
  • The Munch
  • Super Muncher!
  • Existence is RAGE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 05:43:03 AM »
I'm at the school in Amsterdam now. Haven't tried anything yet. I'll go back to London and do that.

I'll stick with doing the maritime school until graduation then and take it from there.

I do notice that supplies run out quickly. I'll have supplies that will last 14 days and it'll quickly go to 5 when I'm pretty sure 9 days didn't pass. Not sure if it's the supplies spoiling. I mean it's not that extreme, with those numbers, but it does sometimes seem like they go quicker than they should. But maybe I just lose some during battles?

So if I'm on land for long periods, the supplies are safe? They don't age?

I decided that Feodaran is going to be Dutch. The game he comes from, Gothic II, is German, so it seems fitting.
Wyrd biþ ful ārǣd!

Offline CaliCaddy46

• Server Administrator
  • Super Stoner
  • Follow the rules please
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 06:09:22 AM »
They've updated the school. The schools in nation capitals no longer offer any courses, all the school activities are moved to Sagres (new port).

They kinda do a bad job explaining about how you can get to Sagres, but during early lvls with slow ships it is suggested that you take a liner to Sagres.

Offline Munch

• The Munch
  • The Munch
  • Super Muncher!
  • Existence is RAGE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 05:25:52 AM »
I'm getting the hang of some things now.

The disconnecting can be annoying. Usually when I alt+tab but not always. It's happened at random points throughout the game while I've been active.

I'm currently in the process of trying to get a permit to go to Sagres, as well as Marseille and Bordeaux for some skills. I may be given it soon, otherwise I'll need 5k fame to get a West Mediterranean permit.
Wyrd biþ ful ārǣd!

Offline Lo_Pan

• Ron_Hobo
  • Administrator
  • Super EON
  • Indeed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 09:42:06 PM »
Tow, tow, tow a Munch, gently down the stream :P

* Google Search

Custom Search